Civics in Action: programs and resources for your classrooms and students
Kids Voting Mecklenburg is Charlotte's organization dedicated to K-12 civic education. Our programs and resources focus on themes about government, civic participation and leadership to help students in school, build civic literacy and develop young people as effective citizens and leaders.
We combine classroom education and community learning opportunities to maximize comprehension and impact. It’s the best way for students to develop civic literacy and build leadership skills.
- Tools: Classroom Resource Library and Civic Learning Center
- Curriculum and resources for civic learning opportunities through the year
- Some PDF files require a password: civicliteracy
- Themes center on government, civic participation, law, leadership
- Flexible and easy to use. Aligned to NC Standard Course of Study.
- Civic Education partners include Kids Voting USA, Civic Action Project, NC Civic Education Consortium, iCivics, Newspapers in Education and others.
- Guides aligning civic education resources to local government resources, leaders, issues. Local curriculum and resources about local/state/national government, leaders, civic participation, current events, etc.
- Teacher support and professional development opportunities
Civic Learning Opportunities
- Youth Civics/Local Government
- Youth Voice/Civic Leadership
- Kids Voting Election
- Ways to connect to local government, leaders and opportunities for civic participation
- Special events: Constitution Day, Election Day, MLK Day, President’s Day, State of the Union, Black History Month, local government budgeting, 2012 Elections and Conventions, debates and more
Integrating civic literacy from an early age though high school
Overview - Civic Learning Opportunities
Overview - Classroom Resources
Sign up for e-news and updates
Contact Kids Voting www.kidsvoting.org or firstname.lastname@example.org