Before voting in this year’s school board election, learn about the candidates and decide where they stand on issues that matter to you. Rank the candidates on each issue, with 1= worst and 10=best. Then, add up the scores and see which candidates look the best to you! (3 At-Large seats are up for election in 2011.)
Short candidate video interviews: http://cltvotes.us
- Testing – Do you support standardized tests in every subject and grade?
- Teachers – How should CMS attract and retain great teachers?
- Focus – Where should CMS focus on students...high-achievers, at-risk or students in the middle?
- Charter Schools – What is the role of charter schools at CMS?
- Diversity – What kind of diversity is most important at CMS?
- AP Classes – Should there be more AP classes at high schools?
- Equity – Should all schools get the same resources and how will you know if this is happening?
- Deconsolidate – Is CMS too big?
- Youth Voice – Should CMS involve students in policy and decision-making?
- Information – How are you informed about CMS?
Find these links and more at http://www.kidsvotingcharlotte.org/search/label/election%202011
- CMS http://www.cms.k12.nc.us/News/Pages/2011BoardofEducationcandidateprofiles.aspx
- Charlotte Observer http://media.charlotteobserver.com/static/images/pdf/4A_oct162011.pdf
- MeckEd http://www.mecked.org/index.php/education/school-board-candidates/
- Election study http://www.kidsvotingcharlotte.org/search/label/election%202011
- Download classroom presentations for election http://bit.ly/u0ODb1 or view online
Student vote on school board, mayor and council candidates – October 24-November 8
- Online: http://portal.kidsvoting.org/election/voting_booth.aspx
- Community/school: http://portal.kidsvoting.org/election/election_experience.aspx
- Early Voting Kids Voting Day: November 5, 10AM-1PM
- Election Kids Voting Day: November 8, 3:30-7:30PM
|Youth Voice students Maya Fleming (East Mecklenburg), Jalen Feaster (Mallard Creek) and Aidan McConnell (Providence) questioned school board candidates. Click here to view videos|